David Guttenfelder on the Second Camera

David Guttenfelder on the Second Camera



Is the iPhone a legitimate camera?

Yes, it is, and increasingly more so. The iPhone has been an additional camera for me for a long time now. It’s something I use to add to what I’m already doing with my so-called real cameras. It opens a creative space for me, but I think we’re getting so used to using a smartphone as our camera that we are starting to see limitations to real cameras now. I wish I could open the back of my Canon and process and publish immediately. I wish I could listen to music on my Canon camera while I am taking pictures.

Eventually there will be a sort of merging of the cameras we use that we call our real cameras and the kinds of phone cameras we use for fun or extra creativity. I think that it will all become one, and that’s going to change the way we work.