Unfiltered: Photographers React to Instagram’s New TOS | LightBox | TIME.com

Unfiltered: Photographers React to Instagram’s New TOS | LightBox | TIME.com

As a cautious optimist, I have my fingers crossed that Instagram will listen to the voice of the community and reverse the new proposed terms of service, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't feel like debating the terms of service or being too nostalgic about the old days of Instagram. I feel that it's much better just to take our work and more importantly friendship and conversation to another place that truly respects our rights and ownership as creators. In the end, it’s about protecting the people I photograph, whether it’s my daughter or someone on the street, I don’t want to have to feel like the subjects of my pictures could potentially end up in places where I never intended. I'm getting ready to move my 'social photography party' to a new location. Until then, I'll be posting elsewhere. I'll keep my account open until January 16 so that I can follow the developments and continue to be optimistic about a possible change. But even if Instagram does reverse the TOS, it will be a challenge to win me back. Instagram is under such tremendous pressure to monetize that even if they back off now, I’ll still be afraid of what’s coming. I just don’t think Instagram is the same place it was when I started and I don’t think it will ever be again. Things change and I can accept that, but not at this cost.
—Richard Koci Hernandez

Read more: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/12/18/unfiltered-photographers-react-to-instagrams-new-terms/#ixzz2FS2SWWKX